Monday 22 June 2015

Monday Style Focus - Steampunk


Welcome to the first of my weekly style focus posts! This will form sort of the basis of the style I'll be working in for that week (although I won't concentrate solely on that style - if that makes sense!). 

This week - the focus is on Steampunk - one of my favourite styles but also the one I work with the least and know the least about. So, I went on a little internet hunt and found some nuggets of information I thought I'd share: 


What is steampunk, anyway? 

  1. Steampunk, before it became the full-blown sub-culture it is today, started out as a science-fiction sub-genre in the 1970s. Its fundamental inspirations go all the way back to 19th century Victorian writers, such as Jules Verne (author of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) and H.G. Wells (author of The Time Machine) https://sites.google.com/a/depauw.edu/airships-and-corsets/history-origins
This focus has been brought about due to my involvment in a jewellery making challenge where the topic is Steampunk bridal, and I must admit, I'm stuck for ideas! I'm a very visual learner so scrolling through Google has really helped get those creative juices flowing, and here's some of my absolute favourite internet finds: 


The  large one in the middle is actually an insanely beautiful creation by WhatUpMerna, and it is amazing. The others have come from different places around the net, so if you know the creator of some of these, please let me know so I can credit the artist. 

Recommended reading: 


If youd like to read more about Steampunk and it's origins, here's a few links to start you off. 
  • http://www.gdfalksen.com/Steampunk
  • http://steampunkscholar.blogspot.com.au/2010/08/history-of-steampunk-by-cory-gross.html
  • http://www.bigbeadlittlebead.com/guides_and_information/history_of_steampunk.php (this is my favourite because it talks about the components that can go into steampunk jewellery!)


Keep an eye on the blog, my facebook page and the website to see what Steampunkery I get up to this week!


Love,










xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment