Friday 23 October 2015

Music to Create By - Vol. 2


Good evening, lovelies! 

Quite a while ago now, when I was still operating under my old business name, and doing some very different jewellery, I did a "Music to Create By" blog post which turned out to be super popular and got a really positive response. 

Since then, I've been through some stuff, personally, academically and professionally. My art has changed, and so has the music I listen to when I create. It is still super important that I listen while I work (as opposed to whistling, hehe) because the mood I'm in is reflected in my music, and in turn, in my jewellery. If you've been keeping an eye on my Facebook page, you'll know that I try to post a "Song of the Day" most days (okay, I've been sorely lacking here lately, but I'm trying to get back into it!) which gives you an idea of the mood I'm in on the day. Sometimes it's rock, sometimes country, sometimes something sexy and sultry, sometimes pop, sometimes really, really sad. 

So here's a teeny glimpse into what's on my Spotify playlist! These are 15 random songs that are in my saved songs list. They haven't been put into any specific playlist; they're just the ones I hear and think "Oh!! I love this song!" and add to my collection. I'm doing this with shuffle ON, so this could be interesting! 

Ok here we go!
1. This Is How We Do - Katy Perry

Katy is sort of my guilty pleasure. I love her songs, her videos are totally kooky and fun, and she's got an all round awesome attitude. Love this song!! 



2. Lips are Moving - Meghan Trainor

We all know that person, right? The one who just lies constantly. Yep, thought so. I love Meghan's take on this! 

3. Never Ever - All Saints 

I adore the vocal on this song! The girls of All Saints were all so beautifully talented. Their harmonies still give me goosebumps. The rhythm of it just makes me happy. I can't sit still while it's playing; it's one that just makes me move.

4. Dear Mr President - Pink



I've been a HUGE fan of Pink since I saw the video for "There You Go" where she sends a motorbike flying through her no-good ex boyfriend's apartment. I knew right then she'd be a force to be reckoned with. Her vocal on "Dear Mr President" is incredible, and the message this is provocative, powerful, angry, and yet she remains perfectly vulnerable and gentle. I can't say enough. 

5. Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite



Oh dear. I knew there'd be some in here that might be a tad....out there. I am, if nothing else, a child of the 80's and 90's, and this song was huge back then. The video is bizarre, but this song is still one that has me bopping in my chair. 

6. I Got Money Now - Pink 




No official video for this incredible, moving song. I'll let her lyrics speak for themselves: 
"When I was a young buck
I tried to be liked by
Everyone
Everyone
I tried so hard to be funny and nice
I tried so hard to be sugar and spice
Didn't work for me
Got old quickly
But now I'm not losing sleep at night
No one's calling me on the telephone
To see if I'm at home
Cause now I've got everything that I have ever wanted or so it seems
Yeah so it seems yeah"


7. Fades Like A Photograph - Filter 


I first heard this amazing song on the end credits of my favourite ever movie, "2012" . I love it. I can't figure out why. I'm not sure if it's the lyric, or the melody, or the stunning harmonies and backing vocals...or what. Just give it a listen. You won't regret it. 

8. With A Little Help From My Friends - Wet Wet Wet 

 


I repeat. I was a child of the 80's! I adored these guys, and honestly thought that I'd grow up to marry Marti Pellow because he was (no sorry, is) just gorgeous. That Scottish accent, the cheekbones... Sigh. I just found out tonight that Wet Wet Wet is touring the UK in 2016 and will be in my old stomping grounds of Newcastle in March. I'm devastated I won't be able to go, but might have to send some friends to get some awesome video for me! Now, as far as this song is concerned, yes, some will say that The Beatles or  Joe Cocker  sang it better, but for me, Marti just aces it. Sigh

9. Tessie - Dropkick Murphys



I don't even know what to say. GO RED SOX!!!!! (Song doesn't really kick in until about 1:20 in). It's such an awesome, loud, song!! Enjoy!

10. Runaway - The Corrs



I remember this song came out the year before I left England. I sang it over and over and over until those harmonies were second nature, used it as a lullaby for my oldest daughter, and even today, 20 years later, it's still one of my favourite ever songs. Exquisite. 


11. Cheerleader - OMI 


Just a happy, smiley, boppy song. Love it. 

12. Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson 




This has to be an anthem for every single girl on the planet. I'm not single, but this song just kicks so much butt, it's obviously on my list and one that I like to belt out whenever I'm alone :) 

13. Hot in the City - Billy Idol 




Anyone who knows me knows how much I love me some Billy. That bleach blonde hair, those piercing eyes... anyhoo...enjoy the song! I always think of Spike from Buffy The Vampire Slayer every time I see this (or, any of Billy's stuff, actually. I just think that Spike would sing it really well LOL! The video is quintessentially 80's and completely over the top, but it's still loads of fun and a great song to dance to! 

14. I Found Someone - Cher 




Oh Cher how I love you! That voice never fails to give me chills. Thanks to my lovely mum for bringing me up on songs like "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" and "Dark Lady" and all her other classics. Awesome stuff. 

15. Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne *NSFW - language warning!* 




To finish up, here's one of my absolute favourites for when I just want to dance around my living room like a complete idiot. Enjoy! 

So that's it!! Fifteen awesome songs from my own personal Spotify playlist! 

I hope you found something you forgot you once loved, or something completely new. Until next time, lovelies, 





No comments:

Post a Comment